Sweta Baniya to Lead Coalition Social Media & Outreach
Sweta Baniya is from Nepal and currently a Doctoral Candidate at Purdue University. She is finishing her dissertation project that studies the emergence of transnational assemblages during Nepal Earthquake and Puerto Rico’s Hurricane. her scholarship is informed via non-western rhetorical traditions and practices that she acquired via her community in Nepal. She has taught Business Writing with International Service Learning where she guided students on navigating transnational spaces via multicultural communication, technology, and service-learning. She has previously demonstrated her commitment to supporting feminist scholars as a co-founding member of the nextGEN Listserv and as a volunteer for Coalition social media and award committees. As the incoming Digital Media and Outreach Director for CFSHRC, she wishes to establish safer and empowering digital/ rhetorical practices for emerging and established feminist scholars.
She brings to the DMOD position a number of strengths:
- Her dissertation research centers on social media for activism and she is continuing several projects that center on social media use in academic contexts.
- She has a research expertise in transnational feminism, which she also applies in her personal social media presence.
- She is one of the co-founding member of the nextGEN student-centered community and serves as a moderator.
- She is committed to mentoring and collaborating in order to support feminist scholars.
- She is a consistent and dependable volunteer for our current Coalition social media strategy. She regularly live-tweets at conferences and she also helps to promote Peitho articles on twitter.
We are confident that Sweta Baniya will bring her creativity, research expertise, and commitment to mentoring when her term begins this Spring 2020. Join us in thanking Sweta Baniya for her service!